Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Quick Marinara Sauce


Sometimes, the best meals require the fewest ingredients and this is certainly the case with Giada's marinara sauce.  I'm a bit of a sauce snob, I'll admit.  Growing up, our next door neighbors were from Naples and their mother made the most scrumptious "gravy" I have ever tasted.  I can still remember the smells wafting out of their kitchen on a Sunday afternoon and hoping that I would be invited over for dinner.  Being from Irish descent, I was fascinated by the traditional Sunday meal which consisted of several courses:  anti pasta, pasta with sauce, a meat and vegetable, and salad which followed the main course.  To this day, no other sauce comes close and  I was always too intimidated to attempt it myself.   So, for years I had been buying the eight dollar jars made by Mario Batali, Emeril and Lydia.  That is, until I discovered Giada's  more affordable line of sauces at Target.  They are delicious (my favorite is the vegetable marinara) and great for those nights when you want to keep dinner to two pots and ten minutes.  However, when you want your kitchen to smell warm and inviting and you don't mind chopping up some onions and garlic and firing up the blender, this is a no fuss, straightforward recipe that will become part of your weekly meal rotation.  I usually make extra and freeze it in one or two cup portions.  It's especially tasty on homemade pizza or as a dipping sauce for bread sticks.  Buon Appetito!







No comments:

Post a Comment