Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Art of Saying Thank You


A couple of weeks ago, a good friend surprised me with this charming liberty floral notecard set.  It was a belated birthday gift (my birthday is in June) because we hadn't seen one another all summer due to our hectic schedules.  It was such a lovely gesture to remember my birthday months later and I was truly touched by her thoughtfulness.  So, naturally, I decided to use my new stationery to write her a thank you note.  Yes, that's right.  I took pen to paper and wrote her a letter.  Next, I will address it, place an actual stamp on it and place it that archaic structure otherwise known as a mailbox.  I realize we live in a digital world that makes communicating quite simple and immediate.  So, why not text, email, facebook or tweet?  I wouldn't need a pen, it wouldn't cost the 46 cents for a stamp, I wouldn't need to locate a mailbox and it wouldn't take several days to reach her.  If I typed out a simple "thanx 4 the cool gift" I'd probably get a "like" on facebook or one of those smiley faces via text.  I would instantly know she received my message.  Some may call me out of touch or old-fashioned but to me, it is saying to the recipient, " I appreciate you enough to take the time to write you a heartfelt letter."  I have a boot box filled to the brim with old letters from my parents when I was away at college, friends who I met at sleep away camp and silly, romantic cards from my husband.  They are precious to me and to own a tangible box of mementos can never be replaced by a text message.  I'd rather actually laugh out loud than LOL any day of the week...JMO.  



6 comments:

  1. I have learned that saying thank you does so much for both parties. I always make sure to do that.

    Brigita,
    http://lostinpattern.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love hand written notes. i got these terrarium print cards and am just finding all reasons to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lost art! I always send hand written thank yous.

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! You're welcome!!!

    love,
    the soon-to-be recipient of thank you note

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always get a child-like thrill when I get a hand-written note in the mail. I want in on that girls-weekend!
    Miss you!!!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too! Okay, I'll keep you posted! Would love to see you! xo
      Kate

      Delete